Sunday, November 18, 2007

Employers Study Applicants' Personalities- Thoughts

I thought this article was really interesting. I guess I have always thought that working with well with people is important, especially the people that work at your main job. However, I don't guess I ever thought that employers would go that far. I remember in high school when we would take personality tests, and when we got the results we would go a informational meeting on how to read them. They told us that we may even consider putting this on our resumes. I can remembe thinking that this really was not that important; after reading this article, I now think otherwise.
I do think it is a little unfair to try and put applicants through some sort of "test" though. I can understand why a company would do it, but it also seems to me that when one is aplying for a job, they are probably under quite a bit of stress. Therefore, they may react differently than they normally would. I also think that people can learn to work well with others, they just need a situation to be presented. I guess the counter argument to all this is that if before hand you know that someone is going to work well, due to the applicaiton process, then you do not have to worry about any personality complication with them. I guess there are two sides to every story...

No comments: